Roundabout consists of a street sign of the Wilhelmstrasse in Berlin, extended to fit all its historical names. The Wilhelmstrasse is a main street that was the centre of the German government until 1945. Because of its important status, the name has changed according with the political circumstances. It has sequentially been called Husarenstrasse (1731), Wilhelmstrasse (1740), Otto-Grotewohl-Strasse (1964), Toleranzstrasse (1991, but never implemented) and again Wilhelmstrasse (1993).
Roundabout embodies this history with a sign that is cyclical rather than directional. The streetnames are depicted in their historical typography. On the sign’s inside, the names are written in chronological order from top to bottom, on the outside from bottom to top.
Mirror Stage revolves around one of the most controversial interventions in the urban landscape of Berlin in recent years: the demolition of the GDR building Palast der Republik to make way for a reconstruction of the Prussian Berliner Schloss, which recently opened as the Humboldt Forum. The installation orchestrates a direct confrontation between the two buildings using two characteristic elements: a Prussian eagle from the facade of the Humboldt Forum faces its own mirror image reflected in a facade fragment of the Palast der Republik.
The eagle is cast in plaster using the same mould that was used in the construction of the Humboldt Forum. The fragment of the Palast der Republik is recreated after drawings obtained from the German Federal Archives, employing the same materials used in the original building.
Mirror Stage was developed in the frame of a residency at the Martin Gropius Bau with the Berlin Program for Artists; curated by Boaz Levin and Anna-Lisa Scherfose. The work was supported by Villa Romana in Florence; the Kunsthistorisches Institut in Florenz (KHI) and the Mondriaan Fund.